LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Monday, November 14, 2011

New Foods


How often do you try new foods?
How about new recipes?

I used to be one of the pickiest eaters out there. I wouldn't eat much out of my comfort zone as a kid, a teen; and dare I say, as a young adult too.
I've said it before, and I am sure I will say it again, I didn't learn how to cook until I was 24-25 years old. I had a desire to be able to provide for my family. That meant learning how to roast a chicken instead of ordering in KFC. I learnt how to make pork chops with a rice medley and veggies instead of cracking open a couple boxes of KD. I learnt how to make fresh orange glazed chicken instead of zapping the same thing found frozen at the grocery store in the microwave.
I've come a long way from where I used to be.
And with that came the desire to try new foods.
And with that came the desire to try new recipes.
I have cookbooks galore now. I owned two before I learnt how to cook. Cooking for Rookies and Cooking for Kids. I could barely make anything from them. Now I have about 20 books. I love pouring over them, looking for something new. Or even finding an old favourite we had forgotten about.
I love my Weight Watcher cookbooks because they offer yummy recipes and the points are right there. I don't have to calculate them; although that isn't a hard task to do. I have the newest cookbook that came out last December when the new Points Plus program got started. And I've been collecting the small books that have been coming out with the change of the season. They're found in the magazine area of your local stores. They offer quick and simply recipes. Most are 4 or 5 ingredients and less than 30 mins to make. I have Winter, Spring, Summer and now Fall 2011. I flip through them all the time.
I also love the recipes on Weight Watchers online. Tonight's supper is from there. I am making a favourite of Hubby and mine. Slow Cooker Potato and Canadian Bacon Chowder. It is so good! And totally comforting. It's a staple recipe here in my house.
I try to use a new recipe each week so Hubby and I don't get bored. Last week, I made a mixed mushroom and feta pizza. It's a Weight Watcher recipe from the Fall 2011 book - I really should take a picture of it for those who have no idea what book I'm taking about. It called for roasted tomato sauce instead of pizza sauce. I didn't have any on hand, but I did have a can of fire roasted tomatoes. I tossed them into my bullet to make my own sauce. Wow! I am never buying pizza sauce again! From now on, I use fire roasted tomatoes zapped in the bullet. Amazingly good. I also added garlic to my pizza only because Hubby and I are huge garlic fans. We're making the same pizza on Friday night, but we're adding spinach to it.
Last night, I tried my hand at stuffed tomatoes. Again, very yummy! Made a great side to the steak Hubby grilled up.
I have rack of lamb in my freezer, awaiting me to try out a new recipe next week to cook it up.
Are you inspired to try a new food or recipe this week?

No comments: