LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Friday, April 19, 2013

Accountability

I'm not really a blogger. I just don't take the time.
I'm a mom of three young boys.
I'm busy.
I'm a scrapbooker. Did you know that? And I love it.
But I don't get to scrap as often as I'd like.
I'm busy.

And so are many, many other people who are busy too. I can be busy and blog; even though I'm sure no one is reading my rambles. And that's okay. It's about accountability.

I started my weight loss journey after I had my Monkey #2. He was born in 2010. For the next year and a half, roughly, I struggled to lose weight. I did it by changing my diet. It took me a long time to lose weight because I still had too many "cheat days." And I didn't exercise much. Old me would argue and say I did exercise. I moved. I did walk. And I did have work out DVDs. I would only allow myself to sweat 1-2 days a week.

We all know that's not enough.

Fast forward to November 2012. I had my third little Monkey. January 2013, I rejoined Weight Watchers. Accountability.

Only I struggled still.
I wanted to eat like I did while pregnant. A little chocolate everyday. Toast every morning. No measuring. I made some healthy choices; just not enough. Since January I have been yo-yoing with the same 2-4 pounds. And I'm tired of it.

A light bulb finally went off in my head. Exercise. I need to move. A lot. I need to sweat. A lot. I need to give up my daily chocolate and have just weekly chocolate. Because I'm not willing to give up my favourite treat for good. Nor should I have to. I need to re-teach myself that treats are called treats for a reason. You don't have treats every day. They are no longer special if you do.

So what's a fat girl with a mission to do?
I joined a gym.
My first day was just this past Tuesday. I nervously went in; swearing up and down that everyone was staring at me. They weren't. But it felt that way. I got on the big machines and prayed I wouldn't fall off and cause a scene.
And what happened?
I ran.
This was huge for me! I'm not a runner. As you may have guessed from my hate to sweat statement above, I am a sit-on-my-butt-er.
I ran 3.2 miles (5km). It was not easy. There were brisk walk breaks. But I ran more than I walked.
And I am/was so proud of myself.
I went back the next day.
I ran 3.6 miles in 35 minutes.
No idea if that's good or not, but it's my start.

Hubby, who is big time into CrossFit and has lost 65lbs, is my biggest supporter. I'm very lucky to have him. I told him my newest goal. To run the Disney Princess Half Marathon.
 I would love to be able to run 2014's race. But financially we can't do it. Maybe 2015. And since that's so far away, I'm sure I'll find races closer to home to "practice" for Disney.
Maybe goal is the wrong word since I know it's so far in the future. Dream? Wish?

So the moral of my ramblings today is: no matter how "busy" I say I am, I will take the time to go to the gym. I will take the time to plan and track my food. I will take the time to blog to be accountable for my actions.
And hopefully my blog posts will in better form in the future.

No comments: