LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Friday, May 3, 2013

Noticing A Difference


I have a “good weather” friend. And I mean just that; we only see each other when the weather is good. She hates winter and hides. When Spring and Summer are here, she’s out almost every day. Now that the beautiful weather is here, I’ve been seeing her again. We’re neighbours. We used to live right next to each other. She babysat Monkey #1 when I was still working. Then we moved…Across the backyard. Now my place is right behind her’s.
My friend would never say that she’s active or fit. She’s one of those people who just can’t sit still. She’s always on the move somehow. We go on a lot of walks together, always have for the past five years. I’ve always had a hard time keeping up with her naturally fast pace. I was always huffing and puffing, sweating and struggling to keep up a conversation.
We went on our first walk of the season yesterday. 

(The trail near my house. This was taken back in January. You know, before 
winter hit and we got snow that lasted up until last week.)

Halfway through the walk I realized I was perfectly fine. No shortness of breath. No pain in my bad knee. No sweat even in the 25 degree weather. I was able to chat and laugh at ease. We walked for nearly an hour. I came home feeling the same way as when we left.
It feels great to realize my hard work at the gym is paying off. I am getting fitter.
Unfortunately, walks with my friend can’t be considered a workout anymore. Not if I’m not pushing myself. I’m okay with that. That’s why I now have a gym membership.
Speaking of the gym; tomorrow I’m going to hand over my monkey’s to my new brother-in-law and steal my sister. We’re going to go to the gym together. My brother-in-law is a super fit military captain; I’m throwing in that captain part only because I’m super proud of him. He’s only 24 years old. He’s doing great in his career. Anyways, he is always pushing my sister to be more active. At one point, my sister was underweight. Size 0 hung off her. She was just bones walking around.
Marriage agrees with her. She’s put on weight. She’s still far from overweight. She looks good. She looks healthy. Now she wants to tone up and get fit to keep up with her hubby. She says I’m motivation too. She says I can’t be the only fit sister; she has to keep up with my progress. I still have a long, long way to go. But I’m glad I’m getting her off her butt. I’m looking forward to sweating it up with her while Captain learns how to handle babies. I’m sure he’ll be fine.  

No comments: